
"Just try it, baby Tess. Rice cereal is so tasty! Come on, now, just a little bite. Mmmm, open up! I know you'll like it...just open up..."
Leave it to my fifth child to throw me a curve ball. Every other one of my kids had no issues eating "solid" food (as solid as mashed up food is...). They all looked forward to the next bite with open, eager mouths. Not this one. She'd much rather do without the stuff. I've even given her the sure fire winners--bananas and applesauce. She lets one bite in, and gets this funny, funny disgusted face, and won't open up for any more. Sometimes I can wiggle the spoon around and get a bite in, but she'll often spit it out or choke on it.
Time for mom to get creative. I learned that she likes to feed herself. So if I give her a spoon with food on it, she'll compulsively put it into her mouth two or three times before that won't work any more. Then sometimes I'll get her to "drink" the food out of her bowl. Or if I give her Cheerios, she can pick them up and feed herself, and I can jam a bite in while her mouth is open waiting for her hand. I got half a container of food in her today that way. I'm pretty sure we won't be finishing the box of rice cereal, though. That is her absolutely least favorite food. I have to say that I don't really blame her on that one.
Funny girl. I know she's just waiting for me to give her some steak.
2 comments:
Do you have one of those mesh handled feeders? If not, go to walmart and look by the baby sippies etc. It has a round handle and then a little mesh pocket where you put food like bananas, grapes, etc. in. You can put real food in instead of baby. Then give it to her. She can hold it herself and suck on it and the soft food flows through the mesh. Then she can't choke on any big pieces and she gets the satisfaction of doing it herself. My Joey LOVES this item. I put all kinds of stuff in like olives, avocadoes, peaches, pears. Give it a try.
I have one, and she threw it on the floor several times. But I will try again!
Post a Comment